Sunday, June 1, 2008

So this is for real...

Feeling good
I am feeling a lot better now. Earlier this week was not so good. Monday night was a rough night for me as I was throwing up throughout the night. Tuesday and Wednesday wasn't as bad but I stayed home spending most of my time in bed. Within a couple days I dropped a little over 6 lbs. But the good news is that now things are looking much better. I've got my energy back, I've starting eating again, and I am slowly packing some pounds back on. Throughout the week Coopers, the family I am staying with, took very good care of me.

The Crib.
I am officially the proud renter of my very own apartment located in the heart of Cocha! I know!...Exciting. This is my very first apartment ever, let alone in a foreign country. This past week, when I wasn't sick in bed, with the help of Jill, I was apartment hunting. Turns out that finding an apartment takes a lot of work. We looked at a couple options. The first place I was shown was a massive 2 story, 2 bedroom gated house with a big old patio. It was very nice, amazingly in my price range, but massive. We saw a couple other options and, by luck, came across a small 2 bedroom apartment in a prime location. The owner is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. The only problem with the apartment is that it is not furnished. So this past weekend I've been running around the Cancha, Cochabamba's famous massive mercado, looking for stuff. The Cancha is pretty sweet. You can get pretty much anything at dirt cheap prices. If only the black market was this accessible in Toronto.

When I was making a list of stuff that I needed to buy it kind of hit me that this whole trip to Bolivia is for real. I am going to be living here for 10 more months. In that time I will most likely need floss, a bottle opener, spoons, a fridge etc. My super long list of stuff made me realize that I going to be here a while and I best get comfy.

Having my own place means that I am now more than ready to host some visitors. So if you happen to be or plan to be in the Cochabamba area any time soon let me know. My door is always open...

6 comments:

Leslie said...

yo man, buy some plants. plants are awesome, and they really make a house feel like a home.

just a thought.

good to hear you're feeling better

Tiana R said...

plants are awesome, and no matter how big your list is, or how much you buy, you will always be missing something, but its all a part of the experience.
It seems as though everyone is losing weight around there! gosh. we sitll didnt make bets as to who is going to catch malaria first, although i dont think that's your biggest worry there haha.
BIg HUG!!!

Andrew Alan Phillips said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Alan Phillips said...

Dave! brother i just checked your blog for the first time and realized I had alot to catch up on! It's great to hear that you are settling into Cochabamba and enjoyed your time in La Paz. You are now the proud owner of a Bolivian villa...that's awesome haha. I would love to come visit and I'll continue to read up on you here. I head to Kenya on friday so by the time you read this...i might be there! =D Stay healthy bro.

I'll be praying for you

big peace,
andrew

ps. Check out my blog too www.andrewaphillips.blogspot.com

Hridi said...

DAVE!!!
really glad that you are feeling better.
really really glad.
and if i am ever in your neck of the woods i will be more then happy to impose as much as i possibly can.
-hridi

Ange said...

Boo for being sick! I've been really lucky and have only had a cold so far. Cooking for myself has been key, I think. Although I keep taking really long walks in the rain so I've had 2 colds so far with maybe 4 days of a break in between. Who knew I'd get colds in the middle of the rainforest where it's 40+ everyday? And my 30% DEET has been working hardcore so I've had no ticks and almost no mosquito bites. But I'm a loser who has cut my leg shaving and sliced the back of my leg on a seat in a microbus. I'm healthier than I normally am in Canada and just as clumsy. Go figure.

p.s. plants are stupid because they die if you don´t take care of them. fyi. although I´m getting dogs so I guess it´s the same thing...